Monday, January 18, 2010

Lessons from The Little Prince


Jeff has been reading The Little Prince to our kids at bedtime since we arrived in France. The other day while he was reading about the Fox being tamed by the little prince I found myself very moved. The reasons that have been hard for me to leave my friends and all that I find comforting and familiar is that I have let myself be tamed by them. The fox talked about what it would be like to be tamed by the Prince like this…

“If you tame me, it will be as if the sun came to shine on my life. I shall know the sound of a step that will be different from all the others. Other steps send me hurrying back underneath the ground. Yours will call me, like music out of my burrow. And then look: you see the grain-fields down yonder? I do not eat bread. Wheat is of no use to me. And that is sad. But you have hair that is the color of gold. Think how wonderful that will be when you have tamed me! The grain, which is also golden, will bring me back the thought of you. And I shall love to listen to the wind in the wheat…”

So the little prince tamed the fox. And when the hour of his departure drew near- “Ah,” said the fox, “I shall cry.”

“It is your own fault,” said the little prince. “I never wished you any sort of harm; but you wanted me to tame you…”

“Yes that is so,” said the fox.

“But now you are going to cry!” said the little prince.

“Yes that is so,” said the fox.

“Then it has done you no good at all!”

“It has done me good,” said the fox, “because of the color of the wheat fields.”

Then as the little prince left the fox he gave the little prince some advice… “What is essential is invisible to the eye” and “it is the time you have wasted on what you have tamed that makes it so important to you.”

Many things remind me of dear friends and family. I am glad I was tamed by you, so that I am reminded of you as I see things that we shared in common. It is hard to be away, but the memories we share make it worth the sadness.

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Came across some scrapbooking stuff in my room today & thought of you. I do miss you & your family. Later, I leafed through a National Geographic from April 2008 at the doctor's office, finding an article about Africa & a picture of people in Mali. It looked dry and desert-like. The people incredibly impoverished, unhealthy, surrounded by troubling leadership, evil men. Your heart will need to be soft and tough at the same time so as not to break every day for them. I pray for you all. MaryLynn xo
(AKA: Marilyn fr. BVBC)

thetalkingmouse said...

I stumbled upon your blog and saw my friend the fox, and had to stop. The Little Prince is lovely. God bless you in France,

A.H.