Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Getting Settled


Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Life is grey… the sun peaks out from time to time, but we mostly see grey skies. I feel like I am in the country of amazing food, and I don’t know how to make or acquire any of it. I did find a good bakery this morning and brought home a baguette that made great lunch sandwiches. Even regular staples don’t taste the same. The eggs have a unique smell and taste. There are three isles of yogurt at the grocery store. I don’t know where to begin! Peanut butter is rare. It costs about $8 for a small jar. Luckily I have gone shopping with American friends who have been a huge help in figuring it all out.


Our home needs some sprucing up. I should have asked for IKEA gift certificates for Christmas. I think we will get some curtains and we need something on the walls. Maybe a few throw rugs to help things feel homier. Some candles would be nice too. We also need a few plastic cups and maybe some that hold more than 4 oz of liquid. My new friends Hilary and Michelle stopped by and said they would take me to IKEA on Saturday!


We have learned a few good tips. The French don’t do garage sales, but once a month everyone throws out their goods and you can go dumpster diving for used but good stuff. (We might look for a new couch and dinning chairs.) Mimolete cheese tastes the most like cheddar. You need one euro to ‘use’ a shopping cart.

So we are getting acclimated. I think we will all feel better when we start sleeping through the night. Jet lag is hanging on for dear life. I am not used to the kids being awake in the middle of the night. It is almost 6AM in California and already 3PM here. Or should I say 15:00.


We still have five days till school starts… hopefully we will be ready!



4 comments:

Shari said...

I'm glad to hear you are getting settled into your new apartment. Wish I could have seen you all before you left - but I know things were pretty crazy for you. I look forward to reading more about your adventures.

Marilyn said...

Dear Heidi, I look forward to reading your blog as you begin this new adventure in the mission field. You write well, so I look forward to hearing how you're getting settled in, how the kids are, you and Jeff. Do you know how to read French yet? Do you have a French bible? That would be interesting... I have a blog also, but rarely write in it, but hope to start up again soon. God bless you & give you sweet dreams and long sleep.
Marilyn Bailey xoxo
AKA: "MaryLynn" at www.imperfectjourney09.blogspot.com

Christine H. said...

Dumpster diving? Cool! Eric's dad would LOVE it!
You should get "Mastering the Art of French Cooking." We just saw on Netflix "Julie & Julia." Great movie about Julia Child.
Don't you get the euro back when you return the cart? That's the way it worked in Belgium.
We love you lots!

Christine H. said...

Happy New Year!!!